Job Opening - Technical expert for polymer replication processing
For almost 50 years, the Vrije Universiteit Brussel has stood for freedom, equality and connectedness. These values are strongly present on our campuses, in our students as well as our staff. At the VUB, you’ll find a diverse collection of personalities: pure innovators and especially people who are 100% their authentic selves. With about 3.500 employees, we are the largest Flemish-speaking employer in Brussels, an international city with which we are all too happy to be connected, and around which our four campuses are located.
The Brussels Photonics Team (B-PHOT) of the Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB) has been active in the domain of photonics components for 25 years. With its optical design platform, the ultraprecision prototyping and replication of optical components, and its optical metrology lab in cleanroom conditions, B-PHOT is one of the key players worldwide in the optical modelling, fabrication, characterization and proof-of-concept demonstration of optical modules and photonics systems. B-PHOT consists of about 44 experts in the field of photonics and 26 technology experts.
For the current job, the candidate should:
• Support the current B-PHOT technology-experts with the preparation of design files in CAD-CAM environments all the way to the actual production of the components.
• Operate several high-performance replication technologies, such as polymer (micro-) injection moulding and hot embossing.
• Characterize the fabricated optical components using several profilers and interferometers present in the B-PHOT cleanroom, to optimize the replication process.
• Take care of the maintenance and correct operation of the above-mentioned machines, and of the entire lab in general
• Required expertise or degree(s): at least a Master in polymer processing, electromechanics or mechanics, or equivalent through experience.
• You have knowledge of CAD/CAM design tools and you are prepared to learn new software tools.
• Knowledge of polymer replication processing and CNC machines is a plus.
• Basic knowledge in the use of fabrication equipment and/or metrology tools is a plus.
• You have excellent verbal and written communication skills, in English and/or in Dutch.
• You are capable of getting a good insight in information and are able to clearly summarize and evaluate it.
• You are a dynamic workforce. You are at the service of researchers and colleagues and you create added value with your built-up expertise.
• You get along well with people; you like working in team and have an open mindset.
• You are well organized in planning, executing and following up tasks.
• You like taking initiative for concrete and to-the-point actions to get to a good result.
• You are flexible and stress resistant.
• You are concerned with the fluent functioning of the photonics campus in Gooik and the university in general; specifically in terms of the role you play in bridging the gap between the university and industry.
Will you become our new coworker? We offer a full-time contract of indefinite duration with a salary coupled to grade group 7-8-9. At VUB we guarantee an open, inclusive and diverse workplace and we offer you the opportunity to (further) grow your career. On top of that, you will enjoy the following benefits:
• Maximal reimbursement of your home-work transportation with public transportation by bike;
• A hospitalisation- and group insurance with guaranteed income;
• The opportunity to give input on your job content and life-long learning via VUB LRN;
• Ecocheques;• An open and familial work environment with attention to your work-life balance and a unique holiday arrangement of 35 days (with full-time employment).
For office use:
Regulation: External financing
Head unit/faculty: Faculty of Engineering/B-PHOT Team
Campus: Photonics Campus in Gooik
FTE: FulltimeFunction: Technical expert
Pay grade group: 7-8-9
Recruitment type: Recruitment
Interested in this job offer? Send your curriculum vitae, motivation letter and a copy of your highest obtained degree (not necessary in case you are a VUB alumnus) before April 11 2021.
The application process for this job offer looks as follows:
• Step 1: CV-screening
• Step 2: A comparative exam at our Etterbeek campus in Brussels
• Step 3: An interview at our Photonics Campus in Gooik
Questions about this offer and selection procedure? Contact Prof. Heidi Ottevaere.
Would you like to know what working at VUB means? Take a look at jobs.vub.be and discover everything about a.o. our campuses, advantages, strategic goals and colleagues.