PhD Scholarship - Fabrication of advanced fibre Bragg grating sensors for the next generation interrogation systems
For 50 years, the Vrije Universiteit Brussel has stood for freedom, equality and connectedness. These values are strongly present on our campuses, in our students as well as our staff. At the VUB, you’ll find a diverse collection of personalities: pure innovators and especially people who are 100% their authentic selves. With about 3.500 employees, we are the largest Flemish-speaking employer in Brussels, an international city with which we are all too happy to be connected, and around which our four campuses are located.
We are looking for an excellent PhD candidate in Photonics to join our team:
You will join the Brussels Photonics (B-PHOT) research group of the Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB) in Belgium to fabricate grating sensors enabling a strong and reliable response within a laser-feedback interrogation approach. You will have access to a state-of-the-art femtosecond laser micromachining setup at VUB B-PHOT's facilities for prototyping, characterisation and testing of the fibre grating sensors in step-index fibers, multi-core fibers and other specialty fibers. You will co-design and co-demonstrate an optimized fully integrated Proof-Of-Concept interrogation system. The open position is within the FWO project “FIONA”.
You’ll be offered a full-time PhD-scholarship, for 12 months (extendable up to max. 48 months, on condition of the positive evaluation of the PhD activities), with planned starting date 01/05/2022. The amount of the monthly salary is fixed by government regulation. IMPORTANT: The effective result of the doctorate scholarship is subject to the condition precedent of your enrolment as a doctorate student at the university. At the VUB, you’re guaranteed an open, involved and diverse workplace where you are offered opportunities to (further) build on your career.
As well as this, you’ll enjoy various benefits:
- Full reimbursement for your home-work commute with public transport according to VUB-policy, or compensation if you come by bike;
- Cost-free hospitalisation insurance;
- Continuous learning opportunities via VUB LRN;
- Excellent facilities for sport and exercise;
- Delicious meals at attractive prices in our campus restaurants;
- An open, family-friendly work environment where attention is paid to work-life balance, and exceptional holiday arrangements with 35 days of leave (based on a fulltime contract).
- Master’s degree in Physics, Electrical Engineering, Applied Mathematics or or a diploma recognized as equivalent by competent university authorities.
- You have a keen interest to conduct groundbreaking research in the field of Applied Physics and Photonics and the ambition to obtain a PhD in Engineering.
- Proficiency in both spoken and written English (typically CEFR level C1 or equivalent) is required. The candidate will have the opportunity to take evening classes in English to improve his/her language skills if needed.
- You look forward to transfer your knowledge and insights to students at Master level with great enthusiasm.
- The candidate is expected to be able to carry out his/her research activities independently and in a critical manner, whilst having excellent communication skills and a positive attitude towards collaboration.
- The candidates should be prepared to travel within Europe and potentially worldwide in the frame of research stays, collaborations and participation to conferences.
- Knowledge about photonics (fibre sensors, photonic integration, laser physics) is a plus.
- Basic programming skills are required. Experience with Matlab, Python or similar language and environment is a plus.
- Experience of working with laser experimental setups is a plus.
- Proficiency in both spoken and written English (typically CEFR level C1 or equivalent) is required.
Candidates that have not yet acquired their Master’s degree can apply and participate in the selection procedure, but need to offer proof of registration in their Master’s programme and need to have complied with all diploma requirements before starting their position at VUB. The candidate is expected to endorse the educational vision of the university (full text available on the university website). Female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
Apply online before 30th April 2022 with your detailed CV (including a copy of the Master diploma and a Transcript of records), letters of recommendation, any supporting documents demonstrating technical skills (thesis or scientific paper) and an application letter. Do you have questions about the job content? Contact Dr. Ir. T. Baghdasaryan (email@example.com) by email.
If your application is selected based on the CV and accompanying documents, you will be invited for a teleconference interview and online tests.
Starting date: between May and September 2022.